Saturday, May 19, 2012

An Invitation

When I was in high school, I once determiined to begin to read the Whole Bible, starting from Genesis 1.  I made it half-way through Numbers before I gave up, at least that time.

When I think back, I believe the project failed, at least in part, because I was reading alone.  If I had had others with whom to share insights and questions, I might have kept going.

This summer, I invite you to read along with me:  not the whole Bible, but the New Testament, in 90 Days.  There will be a list of Daily Readings, both online and that you can pick up at church.  Sign up and tell me if you will be doing the daily readings, so I can get an idea about who is a part of our project.

I'll provide occasional background information, updates and and my own reflections on this blog, which will be linked to our church website and facebook page.  You can follow along, leave comments and questions on facebook, or just check in as you read.

Use any version of the Bible that you like:  try a translation you are not as familiar with (Like Eugene Peterson's "The Messsage") or use your old standby, or the translation we use here on Sunday mornings, The New Revised Standard version.

However you participate, join us!  Read, or re-read, the New Testament along with me this summer, Hear the Good News as we navigate through the gospels, the book of Acts, and all the different kinds of letters to churches that make up this amazing book.

No comments:

Post a Comment